We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Program to send e-mail alerts as texts

D@z©

Likes # 0

Is there an easy and free program that will send a text to my mobile phone whenever my hotmail e-mail address receives an e-mail? I dont always have my PC on but need to know when e-mails arrive. Thanks.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You don't need any other programs to do this - Hotmail is already set up to do it for you.

Here's how:

1 Sign in to your Hotmail account and click "Hotmail" to access your email.

2 Click "Options," and then click "more options." Select "mobile alerts for new messages" under the category "”Reading email”

3 Add your phone number by clicking "sign up for Windows Live Mobile." Enter your phone number in the provided box, click that you agree to the service conditions and then click "Next." Hotmail will send a verification code in a text to your cell phone.

4 Enter the verification code into the provided box, and click "Next."

5 Select the box next to "Hotmail and Alerts," and click "Save." Hotmail will now send you a text when you receive new email.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Hotmail will now send you a text when you receive new email."

Be careful what you wish for - I know someone who was inundated with text messages as his Hotmail address was spammed heavily for a couple of weeks.

Like this post
D@z©

Likes # 0

Thanks, do you get charged for receiving texts? Also what do I do for other email accounts other than hotmail too?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

You don’t say what phone or package you have but my wife has a very very basic Nokia phone and is on a basic £10 a month O2 tariff. One of the settings on her mobile allows her to receive e-mail messages as a text message. Setting it up was really easy - I just entered her e-mail address on her phone together with her Hotmail password and that was it. It’s very useful if she needs to check her messages when she doesn’t have access to a PC (although this rarely happens). She doesn’t have a data allowance as such included within her phone tariff so O2 cap the cost at a max of £1 per day when in use. Perhaps your phone has a similar feature?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014