We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

external hard drives

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, my xp pc is starting to make odd 'grating noises' whenever i try to do anything. I guess its the hard drive. No errors appear. So i'm thinking of getting an external hard drive to back-up the whole pc. The last time i bought one (western digital 'my book', which failed = lost data) it came set up as FAT32, and it required me to change it it NTFS due to its Gb limitations. This deletes any software installed, but is necessary to transfer all the data in one go. Are there any Drives already NTFS enabled? I'm not sure where to go from here. - Tony

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

it required me to change it it NTFS due to its Gb limitations. This deletes any software installed,

You should be able to convert to NTFS without losing data

To convert your drives to NTFS: Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.' Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today