We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop to TV

ened

Likes # 0

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 and a Sony Bravia.

Both have HDMI sockets.

If I wish to watch a film from my laptop on the tv. is it as simple as merely connecting the cables and changing the source on the tv?

I have googled this but can't seem to get definitive answers.

Before I go out and buy the cables I need to know if it will work and what I might need to change in Laptop settings?

Will I need to connect the sound on a different cable?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Hopefully it will Autodetect. If not go into ATI Control Centre. (Right click empty desktop)

Sound should also be on HDMI. See Control Panel/Sound/Manage Audio properties before you go out. Worst case is a 3.5mm cable from headphone jack to input on your TV somewhere. And perhaps some buggering about.

Don't pay a fortune for HDMI cable. Check Poundshops/local elec stores. Supermarkets/computer stores are expensive last I looked.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Click here shows all connection type and the cables needed for each, yours is the last one HDMI to HDMI The hardest thing with HDMI can be getting the sound to enable from the graphics card

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies.

I have had a look at Sound in Control Panel and there is an entry for Nvidia HDMI output.

Will I simply have to go into that and configure it?

I need to know in advance because I am unable to do it until the cable is connected.

Do I need any other software to play movies on my tv and will it automatically detect the resolution etc?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Will I simply have to go into that and configure it?

Yes

Do I need any other software to play movies on my tv

If your laptop already plays the DVD then No

and will it automatically detect the resolution etc?

Yes it should do

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You may need to go to display settings in your laptop, and change to dual screen mode. Right Click on Desktop/Properties/ Settings/Advanced/Adapter

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your help.

I'll sign this one off.

Going back to robinofloxley comment: there does seem to be a great difference in price for HDMI to HDMI cables. Amazon start at about £1:99 whilst Maplins start at about £25:00.

Surely there must be some reason for this?

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Slightly off topic but this is the first thread I have started in a while and I can't see how to tick resolved.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes some rip you off.

ened Click on the Gray Tick to the right, it should turn to Green

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta