We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data Execution Prevention

DMQ

Likes # 0

I have Windows XP (professional) Service pack 3.

I have downloaded some photos from a flash disc but when I try do anything with them I get the Data Execution Prevention message saying a problem has been encountered and the program will be closed down. In my System settings the DEP is set to 'turn on DEP for essential Windows programs only'.

How do I overcome this and allow me to access the photos?

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link but as my computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, it says that you cannot make an exception. Is there a way to overcome this?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What program are you trying to open them with?

Have you scanned them for malware and viruses?

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

They are just photos so it's just the usual Windows Picture Viewer.

I've checked for viruses and malaware but none found.

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Personally I turn off DEP on every new build as over the years it's caused problems, but never stopped problems. So many conflicts....... so outdated.

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

If you wish to turn off DEP then many tutorials can be found by googling "turn off dep" :-p

Don't worry, your anti-virus has your back, plus you know yourself that the pictures are OK. If theres a problem involving DEP, 99% of the time DEP IS the problem.

Like this post
DMQ

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I went into DEP settings and selected 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except...' and ticked Windows. That enabled me to access the photos.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...