We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell zino problems

Splodge

Likes # 0

I have had lots of problems with my Dell zino and I am beginning to think I have too much RAM (6gb)which is causing overheating.

When it works, marvellous but it if stops, I have to re-install the OS. Then get the latest updates, then install programs, then re-instate all my documents .... oh dear!

I have a backup but re-instating leads to heat ....

Also the diagnosis says that "This Operating System is not comatible with the Repair.

Suggestions please.

ps: thank heaven for this 8 year old Sony!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To use that much RAM you need a 64bit operating system

What are you trying to run on it?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where are you keeping it? Is this a first generation Zino? A quick search on Google shows up many problems with overheating Zino's.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Splodge

Likes # 0

To reply to your posts in turn;

It is 64-bit! I am only using it occasionally as a back-up machine against my old Sony failing.

It is the old generation and after a search of Dell problems it appears that the capacitors were cheap ones which were of poor quality.

I connect it to my TV and is seated on a shelf about 15" above it. The bottom is not obstructed in any way.

I have now decided it is not "Fit For Purpose" and have written to Dell's Managing Director.

I pointed out in my letter that with little use, I have had 3 repacement drives in one year. Dell also charged me £120 for a new 3 year warrenty and Dell were probably going to have to change the hard drive another 12 times!

I also told him that the diagnostics had indicated that "This operating system is not compatable with repair" Whatever that means.

Al in all nearly £700 down the chute.

Incidentally, there are so many updates to the OS that just uploading and installing them is probably too much for it unless done in different sessions.

I may seek legal advice since there is evidence from an article in the New York Times that the capacitor fault was widespread and Dell put aside 300 million dollars to cover claims. Which is why I penned the letter to Dell.

Woolwell, thanks for the link, that is another plank for my claim.

It is a pity, because it is very fast and I did play films from it. Avatar was amazing on a wide screen tv.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote