We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Navman 685 USB cable

kittyfit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just bought a Navman 685 sat-nav, and on the quick start guide it says that, when charging the battery for the first time, it should be charged for at least 8 hours. The only cable supplied is the in-car charger. Obviously I can't sit in the car for 8 hours with the engine running.

I've checked the Navman and the Mio websites, and I can't find a USB cable for charging it using my computer. They had a home mains charger, but the 685 was not among the models listed as compatible.

However, I have a USB cable that was supplied with a Garmin unit a couple of years ago, and it fits the Navman. Would it be safe to use that?

I would be really grateful for any advice offered. Thank you.

Kathleen.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I was given the Navman 479 as a present and had a similar problem. However in my case there was a USB cable supplied so I bought a mains/USB adapter link text to charge it. You can get a generic Navman charger which will do the job link text cheaply enough.

Your Garmin cable should work if it is a standard cable - most are - as should those for most cameras.

Hope this helps.

Like this post  
kittyfit

Likes # 0

Johndrew, Thank you for your response. I will use the Garmin cable with confidence now. I had thought it would probably be ok, but just wanted to be sure, didn't want to fry the sat-nav or my computer. As I've got one of those chargers in your second link, I'll use that. At least that way my computer will be safe...I'd be lost without that. Thanks again, Kathleen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes