We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc not going into progs

howard64
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been asked to look at an xp pc. When switched on it appears to work perfectly and you can go into the bios with no trouble. It then appears to start xp pro but never gets beyond the starting windows screen. It is exactly the same if you try to boot from a cd/dvd. All appears ok you get the starting screen then nothing changes. I have tried a different psu but it made no difference. There is a 1GB strip of ram and the bios correctly identifies the ram and hard drive etc. I have also looked at the contents of the drive on my pc and it appears fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

starting windows screen

do yo mean XP with the scrolling bars?

Can you get into Last known good configuration or safe mode (tap F8 0r F5) when first booting?

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

I discovered after virtually taking the pc apart that the problem was caused by a fault in either the ethernet port on the motherboard or a fault in the bios but once the onboard lan was turned off the pc works just fine. I have installed a pci network card and it connects just fine.

Like this post  
howard64

Likes # 0

By the way I dislike the new format and am using the forum much less because of it. If I knew how to I would mark this topic as resolved but I cannot find how to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do