We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Drives

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I Have a Western Digital 250gb My Book powered external drive, I have just bought a Buffalo Ministation 1TB which is USB Powered. Is it OK to run both of these drives together continually? ((ie, always connected)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have a networked drive which I have not switched off since the day I got it. As I have mine set up to back up various folders automatically,it saves me having to remember to switch it on each time I boot.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Hi gengiscant you say you have "a" networked drive, and I also have never switched off my WD My Book for the same reason, but I was just wondering if it is OK to run the two together continually. I have never had a USB powered Drive before of that size and need clarification that it is no problem.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Whether right or wrong, I've connected both of mine at the same time with no problems. I've got a Seagate 500gb powered, and a small 120gb usb powered, and until I read your post I had never thought about it. I was transfering files the other day and even remember thinking about the speed at which they were moving from one to the other.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks for that SB23, I don't see that it should make a difference but thought I would ask the question.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback