We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

will an external pc zip drive read 100mb mac zip disks?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have work on a couple of old mac formatted 100MB zip disks (around 1999), and would like to find out their content. My problem is that I have a vista laptop, so I am wondering if the mac content will be readable in windows, if the content includes files that may be compatible with both systems, eg photoshop files? I have also noticed that some zip drives actually state a size themselves, so I am guessing that zip drives themselves actually come in different sizes, so a 750mb drive may not accept 100mb zip disks? Either that or theres a compatibility issue? I have also noticed that not all of them connect via usb (eg parallel), so I may have to be very careful in what I buy, and where from. I only have 100mb iomega zip disks here, mac formatted with mac photoshop files and basic text files.. any help would be appreciated

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Download HFS Explorer and you should be able to read the disks in Windows Click Here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that is possible to read MAC discs without some sort of conversion program.

It doesn't matter how a ZIP drive connects apart from the speed of writing to and reading the disc. I have a 250 Mb USB drive connected to Vista which reads and writes to 100 Mb discs. My understanding is that a 750 Mb drive will read 100 Mb discs but not write to them.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

thanks to both-I might try a usb 100mb pc zip drive and give it a go eventually, can anyone recommend any stores that sell them cheap? Im not sure where the best selection on sale would be, they all seem to be £30+. Im not sure how popular they are anymore, but they are still easier to carry in your pocket than any cd or hard drive, and dont scratch :)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I bought mine off e-Bay. They're not greatly sought after so don't pay very much. I paid under £10.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just checked I paid with delivery charges £10.50

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Zip Drives: There are several Varieties that are not necessarily Forward/Backward Compatible.

Also beware of the Click of Death. Something to do with the failure of Iomega's Reading Head. Huge numbers failed because of this. I threw a 100Mb one out, just last month. My 250Mb one died several years ago.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

wee eddie - ah the Click of Death. I was fortunate but did get a disc eject failure which meant a write off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...