We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu start up problem

immer

Likes # 0

I have a duel system PC with xp & ubuntu. For some unknown reason the ubuntu has stopped working on startup & I get the message (windows root)\system32\hal.dll Please can you tell me how to fix this. I cannot get the ubuntu to start up when the pc shows me the system choice on bootup.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

If XP starts OK on this PC then I would suggest you have not installed GRUB when you installed Ubuntu, or it has been corrupted since installation. Do a search for Supergrub and download disk 1, burn it to a cd and boot from it. A little trial and error is needed, make notes, and you will get a bootable Ubuntu system.

In Ubuntu in package manager search for Grub and install a package that gives an option to edit boot menu.

When you reboot the PC will boot to Grub and this will give you the choice of XP or Ubuntu. Ubuntu will be the default but this can be changed. Any issues can be resolved with the use of the supergrub cd so you should always be able to get back to a working XP system at least.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It's suggesting something is wrong with your Windows hardware abstraction layer dynamic link library - a file.

Have you done any updates in Windows recently? A possible cause.

Frankly, I've no idea why this has become an issue, as I no longer dual boot Windows with anything, preferring to use Linux only.

All I can suggest is to do a Google search for that message and see what it returns.

Like this post
immer

Likes # 0

Thankyou Jollyjohn I'll have a go at that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks