We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express

Yimbo

Likes # 0

The icons for "cut", "copy" "paste" and "spellcheck" have all become greyed-out in OE. I can't seem to be able to restore them. They were all there couple of days ago. Can anyone help me, plase? I'm using XP (Home) with SP3.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is this after you installed Outlook? Is Outlook Express your default e-mail client again?

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Yes, Woolwell, it was after I installed MS Office - though I declined Outlook - or thought I did! I then got a box saying that OE was no longer my default email client - and would I like to make it the default. I did that, and OE appeared to resume as normal - other that the greyed-out icons!

My only fear about shifting over to Outlook was that of losing all my emails and addresses etc in OE. But I gather that that can be avoided.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Shifting old e-mails over to Outlook from OE can be a pain and moving contacts isn't without risk. But the old date should remain intact.

Not sure why the icons should now be greyed out. Is OE set as the default e-mail client in Internet Explorer. Forget how that is et up in XP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Further thought has Word become your default e-mail editor?

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

"Is OE set as Default email client in IE?" I'm not sure how to check this!

"Has Word become your default email editor?" I just don't know!

You must think I'm a bit thick about these things! Sorry! So long as something continues to work, I just use it and leave it alone! And when a problem arises, well, this Helproom is my No.1 resource!

The icons are no longer greyed-out - - they've now vanished altogether! And, under "Customise Toolbar" they're not listed as "available"!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Yimbo I'm sorry but it so long since I used OE that I will have to look it up. I think that someone else may have to help. Sorry if I've cause any confusion.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Set OE as default e-mail client link text

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell, for all your help! I really appreciate your input!

Hopefully, someone else can take me further towards a solution!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ignore the bit about Word as the default e-mail editor as I don't think that this is possible with OE.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I thought that OE was dead and that M$ had replaced it with Windows Live Mail.

Could this have anything to do with your problems?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room