We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

window goes very pale; reason? solution?

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

On several occasions recently I’ve had the window turn very pale (like a thick fog) and it freezes. 3 options offered are wait; close; etc (can’t remember the other.) Suspect it is related to memory, but maybe it's something different. Any advice, please. Windows Vista & Windows Mail

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Does it recover if you wait ? Is it just on one particular application that this happens ? How much memory have you ?

There could be many reasons for this...

Have you run a disk cleanup and browsing history cleanup, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-to-delete-your-browsing-history-in-Internet-Explorer-9

If you look in "control panel" and select "classic view" at the left hand side, have a look at "problems and solutions" to see what error have occured.

Can you use task manager or Vistas resource moniter to see if any programs or processes are running and hogging the CPU causing slugish behaviour.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I get this from time to time. Don't think that it is memory related. Is it a specific program or random? I haven't completely resolved it but suspect add-ons.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Pale windows are usually associated with a (Not Responding)notice in the header bar. If this is ocurring in Windows Mail it may just be that you are trying to read an email before it has fully loaded. I get this sometimes with LiveMail. If it is happening with other windows then mooly's advice is a good guide to finding out why the programme has stopped responding.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks , folks. Yes it is usually associated with a "Not Responding" - so possibly I'm hustling it a bit; but I don't think i've suddenly become more impatient than I used to be! I'll try to note more exactly when it happens.I don't think it's associated with a particular program.
Sometimes I wait & yes, it has then cleared eventually; but usually I close. Mooly, I know memory is a bit low; I reckon to keep things cleaned up but I'll run disk cleanup again & see how things are after that. Rather busy over next 48 hrs or so, but I'll report back at the weekend.

Like this post
Daya

Likes # 0

I am facing a similar problem, Palinka, and will be interested in your solution. ZDK

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

It looks like its trying to shut down as that happens on some PC's when shutting down Windows

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks woodchip and 124. I've been too busy the last few days to do anything about it; and by chance in the lastweek it has not happened as frequently as it did before. I'll investigate the info in your link, 124

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

When you want things to go wrong they don't! I've had this problem only once since I started the post. Checked in Problems & solutions via control panel and that said there were no problems; but it also said my MS Office 2000 was no longer supported and that I should upgrade - which I won't do, on account of cost (later this year, when I've finished some current work using MS Publisher, I may switch to Open Office). But I don't really think the problem is caused by Office; it would occur more frequently if that was the cause. Still monitoring.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

The problem recurred yesterday - was doing a copy/paste from one MS Word doc to another and the copy I was pasting to froze/went pale & nothing would work except minimise. After several hours I gave up trying to paste & closed down.

Like this post
Daya

Likes # 0

My problem solved from suggestion by Sudeep A.I in another forum "Techqa.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/appdata-folder-in-windows-folder-vista/" which addresses "Error 1606%APPDATA%" in Vista as follows: 1. Enter regedit in start search 2. Select folder, HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18 \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders 3. Right click on Appdata (in value list) on right pane 4. Select Modify 5. Check the data value for APPData value & it should be, %USERPROFILE%\ApplicationData 6. If value is different or missing, just type as mentioned in step5. 7. Next check for below also & do the above steps if value is wrong for APPData as mentiond in step5. HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

I hope, this will solve your problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone