We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Password protecting a folder

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I run Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit). I want to password-protect a folder on my computer, preferably without the complications of data compression or hiding the folder. I just want my wife to have access to it under a password. If I have to download new software, I'd prefer this to be free if possible

I've tried the forum's search function and found a number of quite old suggestions, but they all turn out to involve trialware rather than freeware.

Can anyone suggest how I can achieve the above, please?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Not free, but I have used it for years to protect financial folders Hide Folders

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows 7 will do it but it involves encrypting the folder see here

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you both.

rawprawn - I'll make a note of that, in case I can't get anything satisfactory for free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - on the face of it that looks like a good solution. However, I notice that the article casts some doubt on the security that the technique offers - it suggests that you don't store bank details, for example. Do you know why this is, given that the data is encrypted and password protected?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Axcrypt is very similar in function to the Windows software.

Dead easy to use. You can still navigate the files and folders and move/rename/delete. So it doesn't lock them in that sense.

But you need the key to open. Right click for context menu to encrypt etc.

Lots of features. 128 bit strong encryption

(I found Truecrypt a bit overpowering for just a few files.)

link text

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Do NOT lose keys/passwords at this level.

Windows/BIOS/Word/WinZip etc may have passwords that can be cracked. With recent freely available encryptions you will be locked out permanently.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks robinofloxley. Axcrypt looks as though it's exactly what I need - I'll download and try it.

And thanks for your warning password loss!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

robinofloxley - just to let you know that Axcrypt does exactly what I wanted. And it's free!

Thank you very much for that tipoff.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Jolly good, thanks for the update

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide