We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Swapping laptop hard disks

sfjnet

Likes # 0

Please forgive my super-noob question. I want to change the 120GB hard disk in my wife's laptop for a 500GB one and I simply want to copy the contents and set up of her current disk over so she has all the same stuff but a lot more storage space. What I think I can do is: 1) install free hard disk imaging software (I am thinking of Macrium Reflect - any ideas?) on my wife's laptop 2) copy an image of her disk onto my portable hard drive 3) remove 120Gb disk from laptop and install new 500Gb one 4) boot laptop from rescue CD as relevant to whatever imaging software I use 5) follow sequence to copy image from portable hard drive onto the new laptop disk It all seems straightforward to me but maybe I'm missing something. Any hints/tips/advice on software, etc. would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds good Beware you may have a hidden partition that also needs imaging so that the machine can be repaired / restored in the event of a crash.

Personally Acronis would be my choice of Imaging software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures