We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

is my fan going wrong

liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi, My laptop keeps turning itself off, sometimes it lasts a couple of hours, or sometimes 15 mins. It doenst seem to matter which programme I am using....Could it be overheating?......I am using XP Home.....Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make / model?

Can you hear the fan running all the time?

Try sucking the dirt from the grills with a vacuum cleaner.

Like this post
liloldlady

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat, Thanks for answering so fast. It is A Compaq Presario, and the fan has recently got a bit noisier, almost a small rattling sound. Thats why I think it might be the fan, and of course I can turn it right back on, the longer it has been turned off the longer it stays on nextime, if you see what I mean.I will try sucking the grills then, should I do that first? and how can I tell if it is the fan

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

the fan has recently got a bit noisier the longer it has been turned off the longer it stays on nextime

Certainly sounds like overheating due to a failing fan

How to change

link text

F700 youtube

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My CQ61 Presario seems very similar to the F700 video above.

I also had rattling fan from a few months old and then it stuck completely one day a few months later.

I was getting by in the meantime by tapping the case near the F2 key. That would stop it for minutes, hours or days.

On the stripdown, I found the fan was stiff. The blades pull off the axis quite easily and I oiled it with a couple of drops of 3in1 oil in the axis well.

There was no great amount of dust and I made sure it was not catching anywhere.

I am not convinced that the rattle/whirr was not caused by vibration and the fact that the fan is not fixed properly. I fixed mine a bit better by gluing the fan housing edges with a bit of superglue to the motherboard.

Use Speedfan to confirm your temps if you want link text My normal was 50-65 deg C. Hitting 90+C after boot before shutdown or even during boot it would blue screen.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I would certainly look at your fan as it would probably benefit from a good clean. I would also use one of these laptop coolers that you can buy for most laptops as not only do they keep the laptop cool but they also help to filter out much of the dust which might find itself into your laptop.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you can access the fan, on the top of the fan (in the centre) there is a sticker, remove that and you should see a rubber seal.

Using a small screwdriver, press an the edge and it sjould come out, exposing the motor bearing.

Place a small amount (i.e. 1 drop) of cycle or other fine oil - Not car oil- too heavy, or a small amount of WD40 on the centre.

Replace seal, and cover (to hold in place) with the sticker (or a small amount of tape).

This should help.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks