We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the easiest and quickest way to try Linux Mint

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

WinXP SP3

As the title says, what is the easiest and quickest way to view/try Mint and make the move if I like it.

Reasons:

My eleven year old PC MoBo went belly up a month ago. So I decided it was time to move onward and upward. I built a new PC (online) and now I'm awaiting delivery. In the meantime I needed to be able to connect to the Net, for emails etc. A friend was chucking out an extremely old Gateway PC, the max ram it can take is 512mb. It's megga slow, still, I thought that would do for the interim.

I installed WinXP from my other PC's disk, knowing I would have 30 days before it would need to be 'Activated'! I thought that would give plenty of time for the new PC to arrive. At the time the PC builders said it would take 14 working days. However. I hadn't taken into consideration two, four day weekends.

Now my back is against the wall, with NO new PC on the horizon. I have 5 days left to activate WinXP!

Do you think that when I click to activate it, they will think well, it isn't the same machine, but he hasn't upgraded, he's downgraded? We'll let him activate?

Anyway, my solution, till the other PC arrives is to give Linux Mint a try.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

OK. You're attempting the impossible.

The reason it's not performing as you expect, is you don't have the minimum requirements to run Ubuntu. It needs a 1GB CPU and 1GB of RAM, neither of which you have. Incidentally, I'm not sure why you attributed me with saying Ubuntu was a good bet; I said quite the opposite.

With that specification of computer, you would be far better off with Puppy Linux.

If I were you, I'd stop wasting your time, download Puppy, burn it to a disc and you should be OK.

Click here for the Puppy Linux download

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi LastChip

"Incidentally, I'm not sure why you attributed me with saying Ubuntu was a good bet; I said quite the opposite."

Please accept my apology, for mixing you up with someone else who was also trying to help, in their own way. As I said a few posts ago, when there are several different people, each firing their own suggestions and preferences at you. I'm sure you will agree, when I say it can be difficult to decide whose advice to take at any given time, without also having to keep going back over the thread to see just who suggested what.

Anyway, being as you seem to be the only one still hanging in here and this being the last day before I have to push the 'Activate Windows' button. I feel I must thank you for your perseverance and to tell you I've decided to go with your suggestion and download 'Puppy' to disk.

UPDATE:

Been there, done that. Puppy runs fine and looks really good. I feel much better now knowing that if 'Windows' gets shut down I have a back-up. I've switched on the Puppy Firewall. Will Avast Anti-Virus run on Puppy? If not, can you recommend another anti-virus freeware?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You'll be fine with Puppy "as is".

Take some time to look around Puppy and in no time at all, you'll wonder what all the fuss is about

It's really very much the same as Windows.

Keep in mind, you cannot use Windows programs in Linux. There is an exception to that and if you're interested, I'm happy to go into it. But it's far from a certain option and at the moment, you'd do well just to stick to the installed distro base until you've gained more experience.

Also, keep in mind, all Linux text is case sensitive, so password is not the same as Password. Make sure therefore, you know exactly how you logged into the system.

You don't need to worry about any anti-virus software or malware in Linux. It's pretty resilient to all that rubbish. About the only time Linux users run an anti-virus application, is if they run an email server, and this is just to take out all the crap in Windows emails. Generally they then use Clamav. Not applicable to you.

If you're interested in learning more, you can take a look here and see all sorts of stuff I and others have written under Linux for Novices. Keep in mind, although there's little there that is specifically targeted at Puppy, Linux is pretty distro agnostic. Therefore, what is written for Ubuntu for example, will also probably apply to Puppy. Puppy also has a very active Forum of its own, where all sorts of useful information and help can be found.

Enjoy and have fun!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Cheers LastChip

I'll know where to come if I run into a problem.

Thanx also to everyone else who through their hats into the arena.

G1

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Well done. You gotta laugh tho'. 4 pages for what is the easiest and quickest way to run Linux...

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi G

Actually a couple of pages back I did remark something along the lines of..."If this is the easiest and quickest way, I dread to think what the hardest and longest way would be like"

However, there is worse to come. After all this soul searching and concern. I just ~ with one day left to go ~ decided to bite the bullet and go for activation or deactivation? I clicked the button and plumped for activation on the Net...no problem. It did it, just like that?! Except for one thing, it asked if I wanted to register? I said no and that was that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...