We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the easiest and quickest way to try Linux Mint

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

WinXP SP3

As the title says, what is the easiest and quickest way to view/try Mint and make the move if I like it.

Reasons:

My eleven year old PC MoBo went belly up a month ago. So I decided it was time to move onward and upward. I built a new PC (online) and now I'm awaiting delivery. In the meantime I needed to be able to connect to the Net, for emails etc. A friend was chucking out an extremely old Gateway PC, the max ram it can take is 512mb. It's megga slow, still, I thought that would do for the interim.

I installed WinXP from my other PC's disk, knowing I would have 30 days before it would need to be 'Activated'! I thought that would give plenty of time for the new PC to arrive. At the time the PC builders said it would take 14 working days. However. I hadn't taken into consideration two, four day weekends.

Now my back is against the wall, with NO new PC on the horizon. I have 5 days left to activate WinXP!

Do you think that when I click to activate it, they will think well, it isn't the same machine, but he hasn't upgraded, he's downgraded? We'll let him activate?

Anyway, my solution, till the other PC arrives is to give Linux Mint a try.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

md5 is just a hashing tool. [MD5][1]

I cannot see why it would have any impact on a successful installation

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Link not successful. Try again Click Here

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No, whatever I type at the command prompt I get the same response...

"is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"?????????????

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

md5sum is a hash file checker.

All it does it check your CD once burned, complies with the original compilation and has not been corrupted.

It makes no difference whether you initiate an md5sum check or not, other than if the CD were corrupted.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I'm glad this is the fastest and easiest way to go, 'cause I dread to think what the slwest and hardest way would be like!

From Bremner's link I downloaded the 'Open command window Here' tool. As instructed I clicked on the file that contains the downloaded 'Mint'. clicked 'Open command window Here', it did, I typed...

md5sum linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386

Which is the name of the file and the response was/is 'No such file'!?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As LastChip If you had created a Live CD from the List I posted you would not had the problems you have had, It simply loads from CD to Memory and runs from that, no dual boot file loaded nothing loaded to your hard drive at all. And only works when you start with the CD in the drive

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

woodchip

I've downloaded 'UBUNTU' from LastChip's link and am about to put it on a CD.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Been there, done that.

If after I've looked at UBUNTU from the CD, I decide to install it on my PC. Will it be a clean install. In other words will I lose all my stuff? What I mean by that is, I have programs that need drivers etc from various Service Packs. So even if Windows isn't there, will the programs that need to, still be able to access the '.NET framework' etc?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, I know that like myself you like to try different things (Tinker) However I feel Ubuntu may not be for you. I tried it and gave up. I don't mean to deter you, but perhaps ask yourself Why? am I doing this.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

OK, let's try and make some sense of all this.

The way to maintain your data (which should be backed up anyway), is to use a live CD/DVD.

In my opinion, Ubuntu is not a good place to start, and none more so than the recent release. That release for all sorts of reasons is full of bugs. On some computers it will work with no problems, on others it won't even boot. You are not going to get a good impression in that scenario.

Your original choice of Linux Mint (in my view) was good. However, I'm not sure what you've downloaded and burned to CD/DVD. One of the options should have been; try Mint without making any changes to my computer. That is the Live CD/DVD. In other words, it runs directly from the CD/DVD, albeit at a slower speed than a full installation.

Potential problems.

What sort of computer specification are we dealing with?

Is there sufficient memory? You said the maximum it can take is 512MB, but has it got that?

What is the processor speed?

Does it have a CD drive, or a DVD drive? Is the drive working properly?

Some CD drives simply refuse to recognise a certain manufacturer of disks. Sometimes a simple change of disk manufacturer solves disk recognition problems.

The point is, you need to approach this in a disciplined manner to determine where the problem lays. In other words, try one thing at a time and rule that out. Only by following such a path, will we get to the bottom of what is causing your grief.

DippyGirl's suggestion of Puppy Linux could be an answer for you if your computer is really low powered. It runs remarkably well on very low system requirements. It is also an easy system (like Mint) for new users to get to grips with. In fact, I've run puppy in the past from a 2GB CF card!

You have many very good options, but at the risk of repeating myself, you need a systematic approach to implement one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......