We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the easiest and quickest way to try Linux Mint

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

WinXP SP3

As the title says, what is the easiest and quickest way to view/try Mint and make the move if I like it.

Reasons:

My eleven year old PC MoBo went belly up a month ago. So I decided it was time to move onward and upward. I built a new PC (online) and now I'm awaiting delivery. In the meantime I needed to be able to connect to the Net, for emails etc. A friend was chucking out an extremely old Gateway PC, the max ram it can take is 512mb. It's megga slow, still, I thought that would do for the interim.

I installed WinXP from my other PC's disk, knowing I would have 30 days before it would need to be 'Activated'! I thought that would give plenty of time for the new PC to arrive. At the time the PC builders said it would take 14 working days. However. I hadn't taken into consideration two, four day weekends.

Now my back is against the wall, with NO new PC on the horizon. I have 5 days left to activate WinXP!

Do you think that when I click to activate it, they will think well, it isn't the same machine, but he hasn't upgraded, he's downgraded? We'll let him activate?

Anyway, my solution, till the other PC arrives is to give Linux Mint a try.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Download Linux Mint and boot from the CD.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Half my post is missing?

By booting from the disk you do not need to install at all and can see if you like it before doing a full install.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Bremner

I thought I'd go for 'Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" - Gnome CD (32-bit)'. They say it is the only one that is supported till 2013.

Like this post
RGB76

Likes # 0

Hi Gaphicool1

The new version of ubuntu 11.4 is available now, I have it burnt as a live cd and its the best one I have tried to date.

You might want to look at a two or three live cds before making your mind up click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The address under this is to Live Linux CD list Copy Paste into you Browser Address Bar then press enter

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

PuppyLinux is another lightweight distro. Can boot from liveCD or memory stick, if ypur PC is setup to

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Well guys, after my last post and before seeing RGB76, woodchip and/or DippyGirl's suggestions. I downloaded the aforementioned 'Linux mint Gnome', i burnt it to a CD-R. When I put the CD in it offered me two choices...

It said (paraphrasing) one choice was a full install another was to install it along side Windows, like any programme. So I chose to install it on an external HDD. When it finished installing it said I should reboot. I did this, expecting it to boot back into WinXP. But no, it offered me another choice, did i want to boot into WinXP or Linux Mint?

I wasn't aware that I could boot from my external HDD? Anyway, I chose Linux mint. However, instead of booting into Mint it said...

"Linux Mint GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5-1mint2 Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>_"

I assumed it was waiting for me to type something at the command prompt. Being as I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to add, I chose to restart the PC. When ~ this time ~ it asked me which it should boot into, i chose WinXP. Whereupon it booted normally.

I looked in the HDD where I'd installed Mint and opened the file. In here there are five items...

I was expecting a 'read me' file, But no, nothing is ever that easy.

'uninstall-wubi' (I think that speaks for itself) 'Linux Mint icon'? (1) Folder titled 'winboot' 100KB (1) Folder titled 'install' 687MB (1) Folder titled 'disks' 16.6GB

Question:

What am I supposed to do now? I only have 4 days left before I have to activate Windows and I have no idea wether it will accept or reject.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Sorry it's so jumbled, it be...

'uninstall-wubi'

'Linux Mint icon'?

(1) Folder titled 'winboot' 100KB

(1) Folder titled 'install' 687MB

(1) Folder titled 'disks' 16.6GB

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Why are you getting involved with wubi?

As I understand it, you're concerned about Windows "timing out" and therefore, Windows becomes obsolete.

Just make sure you have anything important backed up and install on to the computer - job done.

Or alternatively, just run it straight from the Live CD. Slower, but no need to install at all.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Ok, well it might be to do with a file I didn't install before burning to disk. Which is 'md5sum'. I've now downloaded it and hit another hurdle. Apparently it doesn't install itself, you have to place it in the correct folder for your OS? Of which, these are the two they offer...

Windows 95/98/Me: Download md5sum.exe to c:\windows\command

Windows NT/2000: Download md5sum.exe to your c:\winnt\system32

I, on the other hand have WinXP? So, I plumped for placing it in 'c:\winnt\system32' os at least, my systems version of that, which is... 'c:\windows\system32' a sort of combination of the two.

It then goes on to say the following...

"Open an MS-DOS window and go to the directory of the show you want to check. When you are in that directory, type:

md5sum -c [filename].md5

You must insert the name of the .md5 file [without the brackets]."

I imagine they mean...

'Start'

'Run'

Type cmd press enter.

At least, this is what I did.

However, where do I get the name of the 'md5 file' from? Do they mean...'C:\WINDOWS\system32\md5sum'?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback