We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My printer is not printing properly

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I have had an Epson SX415 printer for over a year now. Recently, I changed one or two cartridges (because the previous ones became empty!) and since then, it is not been printing properly. For example, If I print a letter, the characters come out all smugged and the colour yellow also appears in some parts of the characters. Also, the printer seems to print half of the characters - sometimes the top half is missing and vice cersa!

I did buy these new cartridges from a website - they were a lot cheaper than the local retailers. Although, before buying, I did make sure that they were compatible with the printer, do you think I bought a cheaper version of the cartridges and that has caused the problems?

Can you advice how I can solve the problem? I have cleaned the printing head etc, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

If it is a problem which will cost to sort out, do you think I should just get rid of this printer and buy a new one?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It's probably not your cartridges, just that you have a blockage somewhere in the head printing system. You could try this head cleaner

Like this post
al.reed@tiscali.co.uk

Likes # 0

Does the nozzle check print out show that all the heads are clear and working , if not run the head cleaning routine. ( You may need to run the cleaner routine more than once if the heads are really bunged up ). These routines are internal to the printer.

If the heads check out OK but you still have problems reload the driver.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

This issues looking printer head problem. check the following Steps for cleaning printer head :

Click on the Start button if you have Windows XP. If you have Windows Vista, click the Windows icon that resides in the lower left corner of your computer screen.

Click on "Control Panel," then "Printers and Other Hardware." Finally click on "View Installed Printers or Fax Printers."

Right-click on the name of your printer and choose "Printing Preferences." This should open a new window; next look for a tab or button marked Maintenance, or something similar.

Find the button that says "Print heads" or "Clean the Print heads" and click on it. You may be asked to choose which print heads; choose them all if you are. Make sure there is paper and ink in your printer, and that it is turned on ahead of time.

Take out the page your printer has printed and see if there are any grids or boxes missing. If there aren't, then you can just exit the program--your print heads are not clogged. If there are grids missing, then click on the "Cleaning" or similarly worded button.

Once the cleaning process has completed, print another page to be sure that your print heads are no longer clogged. If they are still clogged, repeat Steps 1-5 until your printer is printing clearly.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you ink nozzles are blocked and the head cleaning does not work, try the following:

Use an old small container* and put your blocked head in it. Add Surgical Spirit until the level is about 2mm above the print nozzle.

Leave to soak for about 1 hour, remove and allow to drain (suggest place the nozzle on tissue paper to absorb any leakage for about 1 hour.)

Gently wipe the nozzle until clean and replace.

• The container will be no good for anything after'as it will be ink stained.
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger