We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Longevity of storage systems

Muergo

Likes # 0

On another thread there was a discussion about which way to backup precious items such as photos etc.

An article published in "Science" assessed that Vinyl discs would last over 100yrs if kept reasonably, but pressed CDs last 35yrs, burnt CDs 10yrs, and most worrying, solid state memory also less than 10yrs whereas hard discs should last over 50yrs.

I was reminded of this by the recent recovery of the Air France Data boxes, the investigators said that the older "black box" based on tape has still been recovered and downloaded after over 3yrs whereas the latest solid state boxes were unreadable after 18months which is the case in the current investigation. In both cases there was sea water penetration into the boxes.

I am not suggesting that these extreme conditions apply to storage at home, but I am not using solid state memory for my photos, they are all on hard disk but then they said that the original film negatives or positives would last longer provided they had been processed properly especially last stage washing of residual chemicals over which I have no control apart from the ones I did myself.

So if you are transferring photos or music to digital storage, KEEP the originals, they may last longer.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

So Robinofloxley, all our recent backups and recordings are more ephemeral than the much tougher old systems. I was up in the attic today and just remembered I have a big pile of 78s, (some of them 76s and 80s,) all laid flat and interleaved with newspaper with some in original wrappers, dating back to 1920s which came from my Grandparents house, but many of the popular ones are worn by being played with a steel needle under a heavy acoustic head.

I have transcribed a few using a treasured Garrard 301 deck and a fat, round diamond stylus so as not to damage them any more, but I am hoping that someone might have invented a scanner to convert the grooves into digital sound.

Despite the scratches, pops etc the dynamic range is great with a big thumping bass not like the thin compressed sound from a CD.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

So Robinofloxley, all our recent backups and recordings are more ephemeral than the much tougher old systems. I was up in the attic today and just remembered I have a big pile of 78s, (some of them 76s and 80s,) all laid flat and interleaved with newspaper with some in original wrappers, dating back to 1920s which came from my Grandparents house, but many of the popular ones are worn by being played with a steel needle under a heavy acoustic head.

I have transcribed a few using a treasured Garrard 301 deck and a fat, round diamond stylus so as not to damage them any more, but I am hoping that someone might have invented a scanner to convert the grooves into digital sound.

Despite the scratches, pops etc the dynamic range is great with a big thumping bass not like the thin compressed sound from a CD.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Another thought ocurred to me and that is with all our messages being stored in a cloudy computer somewhere over Seattle or Richmond Va, robinofloxley could have asked the CIA if they had a copy of his hard disc for him to back up from.

With Sony having given millions of credit card details out over the world I would keep a close eye on what is going out of our current accounts as well, but copies of those are probably in the British Library or National Records Kew.

How many backups do they keep and where, there must be a limit to the number of backup backups burying the world in polycarbonate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers