We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook v. Outlook Express

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just installed MS Office Professional Plus 2010. That's OK. But clicking on my desktop icon for Outlook Express, brings up a window for setting up Outlook.

I'm reluctant to proceed in case I lose all my emails, addresses etc presently in Express. What will happen to them if I choose to go down the Outlook road?

Or, perish the thought, have my OE emails etc already been deleted during the Office 2010 installation?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

From the horse's mouth

link text

Like this post  
Muergo

Likes # 0

"Do not fret my friend" (Danny Kaye)!

When I changed from Outlook Express to Windows Live AND Thunderbird (I run both) I found all the OE E-mails safely in store and they automatically carried over. They will have been kept in OE backup which you can get the route to it by Googling it up or you will soon find someone better than me to tell you how to retrive them, but they survived moving computers and changing to W7 so you will be OK

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - I looked into "the horse's mouth", and things are OK now!

Muergo - You have re-assured me by your comments and advice!

My thanks to you both!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Only one trouble with Outlook!

Once you've entered your Contacts (and their details) you are sucked in for life, because there's no way that any other, comparable, Software can make head nor tail of them, so you have to buy Microsoft Office (and not the cheapest version either) again and again.

Having said that, I've been using Outlook for about 14 years and have had, almost, no problems with it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

wee eddie

You can export contact details as csv file and then import into another program or Google mail. I have done this successfully with Thunderbird and with Google mail.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As far as I know, all you can transfer is the e-mail addresses and the telephone Numbers. None of the rest of the details that Outlook stores.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

So, all in all, folks - I'd be better off just sticking to Express?? After all, it works OK for me!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Outlook is more than just e-mails and a simple calender + it's on your PC. Not available to whoever, next, hacks into M$'s Servers.

I'll stick with Outlook even though I have to Update M$ Office every 5 years or so.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Outlook is a much better program with anti-spam (called junk) built in.

You can export addresses as well as e-mail details. I've done it.

Outlook will take a bit of getting used to. If you're happy then you may as well stay with Outlook Express.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell_I think Outlook Express is incompatable with W7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?