We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Colour laser printer ~ Can I use Inkjet Photo Paper

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have old stock of Inkjet Photo Paper. Is there any good reason for not using it in my new Laser Printer?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

link text

Take up Origami

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As above post links - NO!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

No - there are risks of fire in the fuser unit- or at the very least glueing up the transfer rollers.

There are 'Laser Glossy' papers available but they do not give a glossy result.

Ink Jet glossy is a porous plastic which allows ink to absorb into the paper showing through the glossy top.

With a laser the powder is deposited onto the paper surface and is then 'cooked' to fix it to the paper.

So the image simply sits on the surface.

Eve with 'Laser Gloss' [which is a version of glossy magazine paper with a chalk[talc] finish you do not get a 'Gloss finish to the image.

If a glossy result is desired - print in a high white stock and then laminate it.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that that just about wraps it up.

The Paper sticking to the Drum, when it is being heated, could cause considerable, and probably costly, damage.

Many thanks to everyone. I think I'll donate my remaining Photographic Paper to my Brother-in-law, who lives just down the road.

Like this post  
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Well you got the message Eddie But to clear the air - Paper will not stick to the imaging drum[s] paper is never in contact there- it is the delivery rollers after emerging from the fuser unit that will suffer.

Take a look here

http://www.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm

There are many variations of design- some colour lasers have one drum that rotates a high speed and drops the image onto a transfer belt,other have four imaging drums that drop the image to a transfer belt.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

simple answer is no, it will wreck the printer

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone