We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop dropping IP address

Birmingham

Likes # 0

Hi,

A few days ago, my internet connection kept dropping. So, I switched off for the night and as I did, Service Pack 3 downloaded. Since then, whenever I have switched on, a connection has been made which lasts a few seconds, then it drops the IP address.

I have tried disabling the connection and then reconnecting, reinputting the WEP key, but it still won't hold onto the address.

My daughters' laptops are not experiencing this problem.

Anyone got any advice?

Many thanks & kind regards.

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response. It doesn't have a LAN so I can't access via a cable. So I can't update. So frustrating.

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

Ooo, thanks 124, I will certainly give that a try and let you know how I get on. :D

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you are using it Wireless, Try changing the Channels in the Wireless Settings of the Router, This often does the trick

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

Hi Woodchip,

How would I do this? I am rubbish at these things!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You have to start your Browser and type the correct Address into the Address Bar for your router Settings, these are built into the Router. I have a 3Com Router My address is 192.168.1.1 Yours may differ depending on the Router Make and Model. It brings you to a Log in Screen where normal logging for mine is admin in lower case letters, as above yours may differ. then you go to wireless settings to change them and then save the settings

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

Hi 124,

I installed Everest and it tells me the following info re: wireless -

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Networker Connection 9.0.4.39 Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport 5.1.2434.0

It would not download the other link because my machine has Service Pack 3 and the download is for Service Pack 1.

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

Hi Woodchip,

I got the IP address just before it dropped it. I typed this into the address bar on the browser, but I got an error message:

Error118(net::ERRCONNECTIONTIMED_OUT):The operation timed out

Like this post
Birmingham

Likes # 0

The message I get on the Intel(R) Pro Wireless TRoubleshooter says:

The wireless adapter failed to get a valid IP address. This can be due to an authentication failure with the network, incorrect wireless security passwords (encryption keys), or because of a DHCP server malfunction.

One thing, when it connects it is saying Wireless Network Connection (Peer-to-Peer). I don't know what that means?

I have tried setting the WZC service but it just won't do it :(

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Is your Network Settings set to Auto if not they need to be. As I said in my First post you do not need to join a Network, The Settings are in the Router type http//: before the number you entered in the Address bar then press enter

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes forgot to tell you to use a Ethernet Cable to change Router Settings

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days