We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu 11.04 Available

bremner
Resolved

Likes # 0

For those who like Linux and are unaware, the latest version of Ubuntu; v11.04 "Natty Narwhal" has been released. Ubuntu 11.04

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Like this post  
bremner

Likes # 0

Warning

This is not supported in Parallels as yet!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

If you look on the Ubuntu forums there seemed to be issues with it at the moment. I'm on 10.04 lucid which is the long term support version, I can't see any good reason to move until they sort the bugs out in 11.04.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I try out Linux in Virtual environments so I am happy to explore new releases, safe in the knowledge that they can do no harm and are always a click away from deletion.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I've got to say, even as a now long time Linux user, I'm pretty unimpressed with it.

In fairness, I've only tried it from a live CD (it has been available for a few days) and perhaps therefore, I'm not really giving it a fair trial. But so much has been written about the Unity interface and how it was going to change computing, I guess I was expecting a lot more.

If you are an avid smart phone user, I guess it could appeal. It does have some nice features, not least of which, is it's ability to automatically hide the applications, to free up screen estate. But for me, it is far too restrictive and I can't see me ditching either a conventional user interface or Debian, any time soon.

Power users should note, you can still install Ubuntu 11.04 with a conventional interface if you wish. In fact, if you don't have 3D graphics as standard, Ubuntu will default to the conventional Gnome interface.

For me, for a new Linux user, Linux Mint is still the one to beat and if you're a little more knowledgeable, Debian is an out and out power house of a distribution. And that's what I love about it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance