We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Home re-activation

Stoko
Resolved

Likes # 0

2 days ago I received a message on logon " Due to significant hardware changes you need to re-activate XP home". The last h/w change I did was a new graphics card approx 3 years ago !! As I have nothing to hide I click on "Activate Now" the "Product activation" box opens but then hangs eventually going "Not responding". I've checked various forums and they mention using "Start,Programs,Accessories,System Tools" and run the "Actvation wizard" but it does not exist. I spoke with a Microsoft person on the activation line but she said the only option was to re-install XP. However she could not tell me why I had been told to reactivate even though no h/w changes have been made in the last 3 years. My copy is legal and I run auto updates having been through the Windows Genuine validation process. Any suggestion guys or will I have to do a complete re-install of XP ?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Activate Windows should be top of the list under System Tools

click here

Like this post
Stoko

Likes # 0

Hi Sea Urchin,

As already mentioned for some reason or corruption "Activate Windows" does not appear in my System Tools. I've tried "Start,Run typing "oobe/msoobe /a" but this has the same result "Product Activation" box open but hangs eventually going "Not Responding"

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

As you have made no changes this sounds more like a virus!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Have you tried a system restore back to a date before the problem occurred?

Like this post
Stoko

Likes # 0

Hi Bremner,

Yes, tried system restore but i still get the re-activate message, now only 1 day left to activate.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Stoko: Same happened to me, I hope that it wasn't malware or I'm in trouble.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Try the second option on this Activation

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Interesting - mate rang me this morning to say his XP was telling him he has 30 days left to activate. Nothing has been done to the machine since new (4yrs ago)and auto updates has been working normally. What's going on with MS?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Repair Install before Full re-install?

How to...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I agree it's worth a try Robin, but there can be difficulties with that as we discused in my other thread. Anyway, why should it be necessary when nothing has been done to the PCs?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad