We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Home re-activation

Stoko
Resolved

Likes # 0

2 days ago I received a message on logon " Due to significant hardware changes you need to re-activate XP home". The last h/w change I did was a new graphics card approx 3 years ago !! As I have nothing to hide I click on "Activate Now" the "Product activation" box opens but then hangs eventually going "Not responding". I've checked various forums and they mention using "Start,Programs,Accessories,System Tools" and run the "Actvation wizard" but it does not exist. I spoke with a Microsoft person on the activation line but she said the only option was to re-install XP. However she could not tell me why I had been told to reactivate even though no h/w changes have been made in the last 3 years. My copy is legal and I run auto updates having been through the Windows Genuine validation process. Any suggestion guys or will I have to do a complete re-install of XP ?

Like this post
Stoko

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Sorry for late response but when trying Bremner's method 2 big problem, XP would not load at all, but continually rebooted even in safe mode so I've had to do a full re-install anyway. It has taken a while but all now running ok and I was able to activate XP with no problem so not sure what original problem was. I would still like to know why Microsoft thought my hardware had changed and demanding a re-activation, good ol' Bill.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite