We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Socket error 10107, help please!

gazmix

Likes # 0

Hi

Ok, i know i posted about hibernate not working & i will go there in a bit!

My pc was running ok until my usb mouse malfunctioned & everything froze! I can't get online with broadband or dial-up on my usual pc at all!

When i try to retrieve my mail i get 'socket error 10107'

I had to uninstall my firewall & i think it's left some remnants & corrupted my pc! I've tried system restore & nothing! When i reboot, i get 'firewall.exe' has encountered a problem & must close & i get chance to send or don't send report to microsoft!

If i say 'don't send', my computer makes noises & one of the green lights on the front goes really fast, not the power light! I can't go online or receive mail at all even though my router is ok!

Can anyone help me with this as its a real nightmare!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This might help:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100917061445AAWg2S7

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

I tried this & nothing, how about wisefixer, anyone heard about this!?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe give your security programs a run and see if they find any problems. Hitman pro is quite good at finding things that others cant. This from Bleeping Computers.link text

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the above doesn't help try booting to safe mode. Tap the F8 (or in some PCs the F5) key to get to the Advanced options page. Here you will get to the options of how to boot. Try 'Last Known Good Configuration' first. If that fails then boot to safe mode again and try system restore to before you had the problems. Note once you restore in safe mode then your later restore points will be lost.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

I haven't done system restore in safe mode yet, but have done msconfig in safemode & deleted the firewall at start, but that did nothing! All my progs seem to be none responsive! I think i've fried my registry!

I have ERUNT reg backup dated back to early 2010 & ran that after this issue started! I guess thats why all my programmes have frozen as some may not work after all microsoft updates as the reg will hace changed! A friend told me this, is it true! As my programmes are non responsive!

Could i write over the corrupt progs by reinstalling them? or do i need a complete xp install.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

I have also googled & there is s specific prog called WiseFixer to sort this! Is this true?

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

It seems i have sorted it!

I downloaded the firewall.exe file & ran it & it overwrote the obviously corrupt firewall programme!

I think what i did initially was uninstall the firewall as i though i had to because it wasn't accepting the licence key & it wouldn't uninstall & caused this socket problem! I then did an Erunt backup thinking it would sort the prob! Thing is, the backup was made early 2010! Obvioulsly after many microsoft updates, the registry would've changed & things went belly up!

I'm not sure why though that overwriting the firewall worked as i still had set the registry back to 2010.

Is it important to back up registry after every microsoft update & do i need a firewall at all?, isn't windows firewall sufficient? & also the one in my router! ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures