We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ccleaner not clearing all Chrome info.

Batch

Likes # 0

If anyone is using Chrome and expecting Ccleaner to clear all traces of your browsing history you will be sorely disappointed.

The latest version (3.06.1433) released a few days ago now includes cleaning out the Speed Dial info (simply by deleting Chrome's Top Sites file).

But Chrome's History file still includes traces of browsing history (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History - you can view it with Notepad).

Also, if you have the Chrome DNS pre-fetching enabled, more evidence of browsing history is kept (in the dns prefetching section of Chrome's Preferences file (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences). The short term workaround for this is to turn this DNS cache facility off and on a couple of times (until Chrome purges the dns prefetching section of Preferences) and then leave it turned off.

These shortcomings have been notified to Piriform, so hopefully a later release will address these matters.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

BTW, in the short term I use a workaround to address the History file issue. I run Ccleaner from a batch file with Ccleaner's /auto command line argument and then follow that (in the same batch file with the deletion of the History file). I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now without any apparent side effects.

Previously I deleted the Top Sites file (which contains the Speed Dial info) in the same way. Now Piriform have included the same functionality in Ccleaner.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Won't the browser itself do it? chrome

Ccleaner seems to fail, to some extent, with IE9 as well.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Chrome claims to clear most of it, but to clear the stuff using Chrome is not a one click solution (similar can be said in respect of IE). One of the great advantages of Ccleaner is that it (should) provide a one click solution to clearing all sorts of history / trails, not just from the browser.

Anyhow, my posting was just to warn others of the potential holes in Ccleaner's operation.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

have you added ccenhancer to see if it helpslink text

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

No - not yet. I only became aware of the winapp2.ini functionality earlier today. I intend to look into it and if the required support isn't in there I'll add it in if I can.

The deletion of the Chrome History file by this method looks like it should be straight forward.

Not so sure about editing the Preferences file by this route. Firstly not sure if such capabilities are supported. Even if it is, it could risk instabilities if one doesn't edit the file correctly. I tried doing it manually and Chrome crashed on startup. So for now have left the DNS cache disabled.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

OK, on further investigation have found a better solution to the deletion of Chrome's History file.

I've used Ccleaner for years and basically just ran it "out of the box". Having looked under the Options tab there is additional functionality which includes the ability to specify files which are to be deleted when Ccleaner runs its Cleaner function. So have just added the History file to this. Much slicker than my batch file

Still can't find a solution to the DNS prefetching info that is stored in the Preferences file. winapp2.ini doesn't facilitate sophisticated capabilities such as editing files on the fly. So will leave Chrome's DNS prefetching switched off for now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad