We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP all-in-one printer, scanning problem

theoldandgrey

Likes # 0

Hi I have Windows 7, IE8 and an HP Photosmart C6280. Been a bit temperemental over the years but of late been fine. Now when I use the Solution centre to scan I get a message hpqdirec.exe not responding. If I close program and re-0pen I get message the application is currently in use or unavailable. This appears even after I have re-booted. Very odd. I have tried importing using Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop but the screen freezes and it reports HP scan application not responding. I have run the HP scan diagnostic program but it shows all is well. I have checked for new drivers everywhere but they are all up to date. Has anyone any ideas that may solve the issue please

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I used to have a photosmart C3810 and I found the software very unreliable even when I uninstalled I had to go through the registry and remove all traces of it before re-installing it to make it work properly again.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The well known HP scanning problem.

You probably need to re-install the HP software, but it's not quite that simple.

First you need to do a Level 3 uninstall.

Insert your HP software disc, but don't run it.

Navigate to "L3 uninstall", I think it's in the "Utils" folder, and run it.

Manually remove any HP dross that has been left behind

Then do a full re-install.

Latest software available herelink text

Like this post
theoldandgrey

Likes # 0

Thank you for that info. I remember having to do a Level 3 uninstall before so I thought wow we're on to a winner. Well I have spent most of the morning and all afternoon trying to overcome the problem but things are worse than ever now. I downloaded the drivers etc as advised and did a clear out of HP items. Re-installed but in All Programs where all the HP products are listed the folders are empty. I have also received Warning 1909 Could not create a shortcut HP Solution Center.lnk. verify that destination folder exists. Well I can't find it at all. I have uninstalled and re-installed 3 times so far, having re-downloaded the drivers etc incase it was a corrupt download but still I cannot do anything. I have disabled anti virus and even firewall to see if that helps - no. I've done it as administrator and not administrator. I can't think of anything else except the bonfire!!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I don't know if this will be of any use Try This

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

theoldandgrey

Did not suggest you download just the drivers, but a full software download, all 300 megs of it.

Also to confirm that a straight uninstall/reinstall won't work, it's an L£ every time, an hour or more's work to carry out this procedure.

I should have mentioned that you also need to clear the registry - Ccleaner or similar, each time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger