We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Home Page Customisation.

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 0

One of my Home pages is http://www.bbc.co.uk, and at the bottom of the page are two tabs. One is "Explore the BBC" and the other is "Customise This Page". I have been trying to Customise the page to get rid of some of the debris that is of no interest to me, but on getting it to what I want and clicking on Save, it never saves and stays with all the detritus that I do not need. I tried to get Help from from the BBC and that really is an adventure. There appears to be no-way that you can contact them with a request for help, despite what they say. It just goes to a feedback system which on the e mail response states "Thanks for the feedback, but they cannot respond, go to the Help system!!"

I have done what they suggest in the Help section regarding control of cookies, which mine was already set at, but I cannot change the page.

I have Win7 and IE9, 64 & 32bit, it makes no difference which copy of IE9 I use.

Any one any ideas what else can/should be changed to get the system to change the page? I have already removed all cookies, ran CCleaner to get rid of any other rubbish that may be in the background, but still it continues to defy Customisation!!

Thanks

TonyV

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

May be a clue in Most Read

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Graham

Thanks for that. They must have had problems for a while now. I tried many times last night to get the thing sorted. In the end, the only option open to me was a "Complaint". It was the only real topic that would allow a sensible question, though on the performance by the BBC so far, I will not be holding my breath whilst they deem to answer. There has been no acknowledgement thus far!!

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

To close this out, I have been away for a few days and arriving home this evening there were e mails from the BBC explaining that they had deliberately stopped it functioning correctly!! They state "The customisation feature on the homepage was disabled in anticipation of much larger than usual traffic during the period of the Royal Wedding. We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. The feature has now been restored." The e mail was dated 05/05/2011.

It is now restored, but wouldn't you have thought that in their wisdom, a little note on their home page explaining the situation would have saved an awful lot of aggravation?

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow