We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hard drive

dugit

Likes # 0

I was looking into getting an external hard drive and I see for example cnm core 120gb which is connected to pc by usb which also powers it. My question is can the pc power the external drive without causing a problem as I see a lot of external hard drives which have there own power source?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

External Hard Drives are better with their own power source.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If you just want it to use at home I would recommend one with it's own power supply. If it has to travel with you then the USB powered ones are usually smaller and lighter and so more convenient.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Drive you are looking at will be a Laptop 2.5 inch drive, this is normal way to power them. Those with there own Power supply are the Full Size Desktop Drive and do need a Power Supply

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

My previous USB H/D had a separate power supply and you had to remember to turn it on before booting up, I have my mail store folder and other data, video and music etc. on my external H/D in fact I only have very little other than my O/S and programs on my C drive. My new one is powered via the USB connection and I have not encountered any problems with it. I would suggest you obtain as larger capacity one as you can afford, a 120Gb one I don't think is large enough. My original was 232Gb and my new one is 1 Tb.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

I have 3 WD 1TB USB powered drives (they use 2.5" HDD's) If I want to use more than one at a time, I use a powered hub.;

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July