We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP Repair - problems

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not looking for an answer, really, but wondering if others have had the same problem.

On three different computers, I've tried a repair install following a variety of problems. Not one has worked - results varied from failing to complete the install, numerous messages 'couldn't copy file *, check CD in drive', when answering 'yes' to 'activate now', just get a blue screen with hourglass. Sometimes different problems when trying again on the same computer with the same disk. Full reinstall has worked without probelms in each case.

Any thoughts, please?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Being a bit unsavvy a few years back, I bought XP Retail from PC World for £170.

Due to the expense, I cloned it twice.

I am glad I did. While I only made full reinstalls a handful of times, the disc stopped with errors after about the 3rd or 4th time I used it. (Cyclic Redundancy check Abort/Retry/Fail)

This handily allowed me to pop one of the other discs in and continue. Later installs sometimes had problems with the copies (different files) and would then require a disc change again.

However, sometimes no errors were displayed. I put it down to minor scratches and how clean the lens was.

I have recently used it again when messing with an old laptop and also on various Virtual machine try-outs on new laptop and desktop.

XP has always run correctly apart from getting it installed in the first place as above.

Like this post
PcTestCard.com

Likes # 0

Yes, this seems truth that the full reinstall will succeed on XP. We have many computers with the same problem.

Maybe the XP is a hardware "binding" OS that is quiet picky.

Cheers~! Bill Tech Manager

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It is odd as I've used 2 or 3 different disks, and they all seem to throw up some problem or another on repair, but all work perfectly on a full install.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have used some disks several times over the years but get different faults on different machines. Have changed drives and used same disk to overcome.

Put it down to a combination of the CD and the drive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks FB. Think I'll not bother with repair in the future and go straight to reinstall!

Like this post  
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

Full install will load the correct HDD controller driver and xp is more chipset binding OS, if there is any info not matching the hardware serial, the install will fail as well. Full install will probably erase all such hardware serial info previously saved on the HDD.

Hope this helps! Bill Tech Manager

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have always found that a repair install causes more problems than it solves. Now that I use a 60GB SSD which just has my OS and progs on,it is a simple process to reinstall Windows & the SP1 and whatever updates are needed then install my programs. This saves a lot of time, ninite

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes