We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gigabyte GA965P DS3 - Halts at Boot Screen

phoenix198

Likes # 0

Gigabyte GA965P DS3 - Halts at Boot Screen

I've just made a bit of a horlicks of (re)installing a Gainward GTX 580 onto a Gigabyte GA965P DS3 motherboard (Q6600 processor, 4GB PC6400 DDR2). Sequence of events:

1. Initially installed it fine, booted into Windows 7 and installed latest NVidia driver. All well, then started a game to bench the card which caused the fans on the GTX 580 to kick in and found that one of the SATA cables was fouling the rear fan on the card - horrible noise.

2. Shut down, removed GTX 580, cleared the foul - no visual signs of damage to SATA cable or the fan

3. Reinstalled the GTX 580, closed up case, reconnected to monitor, keyboard and mouse via a Belkin KVM switch - no video output! Remembered I had forgotten to reattach the PCI-E PEG cables! Re-opened case, re-attached PCI-E PEG cables, checked no fouling and all other cables soundly fastened. Reconnected to monitor, etc

4. Rebooted PC. Now have video signal to monitor but PC halts at Gigabyte boot flash screen and is unresponsive to keyboard inputs - USB or PS2.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MAke sure no disks in drives and ALL usb devices are unplugged and retry.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Start In Safe Mode and Remove uninstall the Graphics driver, Restart PC it will load a generic Driver, now load the correct Win7 Driver for the board, also try it in Device Manager to update the driver

Like this post
phoenix198

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Tried that - hence using a PS2 keyboard - no luck.

Like this post
phoenix198

Likes # 0

woodchip

Sorry, but I think you missed the point; the PC wouldn't boot beyond the Gigabyte flash screen i.e. no POST. I couldn't even access the BIOS management screen(s), let alone boot into Windows either in Safe mode or normal.

Partial solution found on another forum (Hexus); clear the CMOS, then remove all RAM sticks except one. System booted into Windows after resetting CMOS to 'last known good version' with just 1GB of RAM. I then progressively reinstalled more RAM but it 'fell over' again when I tried all four sticks.

Time to sleep on it and see what I can do in the morning.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Seems one of your memory modules has gone bad.

Like this post
phoenix198

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Yep, think you are right - been swapping them in and out to see which one might be 'fritzed' and to check whether any of the RAM slots have been damaged. RAM slots look to be OK and I think I have identified which one of the RAM modules is the guilty one. Pity really, it was a matched set of 4 x Corsair XMS2 Extreme 1GB modules that had performed well until my little bit of forgetfulness.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more