We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No signal and power

midian

Likes # 0

My old man took the front of his case off and was going to fit a new dvd drive but found out he couldnt... so he put the front back on and now he has no signal going to the monitor and the button on the case will not shut the pc down. I have had a look with the side off and all the fans are running and dvd trays open etc... checked the leads etc and all seem to be fine and in place.

Any ideas?

p.s He did say the graphics card was loose so he tightened the screw that holds it in place. Also he has onboard graphics and did try the vga cable in that socket but I told him as he is using a card, his BIOS would be set to PCI-E not onboard.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The on / off button not working sounds like he has pulled one of the connections from the front panel off the motherboard.

He should reseat the graphics card.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Did you check VGA cable at both ends. Some monitors, have connector there as well.

Try changing BIOS to 'onboard' see if signal from there.

Dunno about power button. Did he pull the cable header slightly/off?

You've probably done all this.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Have you tried removing and re-seating the graphics card also remove the front panel and see if the computer will work with it off. He may not have not fitted the front panel correctly.

Like this post
midian

Likes # 0

He recokns its the motherboard as he has now said that there is no power to the USB slots.

He did manage to get the pc running just by switching it back on and somehow it works. Could it be a dodgy connection somewhere?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Front slots or those at the back as well?

My guess is that he has disturbed cables to the front cover USB header and power button.

Switch off unplug and remove / refit all headers / cables to front cover, reseat graphics card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features