We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

In the Deleted Items window, I keep getting the message "Are you sure you want to pemanently delete these messages?" - when I haven't even tried to delete anything! My Inbox has been deleted and sent to "Deleted Items"

Also, in composing this thread, if I leave it for a minute or so, the message deletes before my eyes!" Somthing;s badly wrong somewhere! Anybody help??

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The first thing you need to do is run a good antivirus and antimalware check on your PC. Text shouldn't be deleted automatically any more than e-mail.

When you have done the above, see if the problem is still present. If it is post with your OS, findings of the AV and malware scans (and what you scanned with) and what was found.

Like this post  
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks Johndrew. I'm using Windows XP with SP3. I've run my Malwarebytes and Zone Alarm programs - but neither found anything amiss. However, it appears to have rectified itself - hopefully for good - whatever it was!

It all semms to have started when I booted up, and got a blue screen headed "General Help" - with lots of options, all to do with CMOS and BIOS, about which I know little or nothing. I tried to leave well alone, but the screen persisted, and I eventually I had to force a shutdown to get rid of it. I've no idea what prompted it in the first place, and I've certainly never seen such a screen before!

Thanks again for your help! It's much appreciated!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Go to 'Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Event Viewer/System' and scroll down the list to the date & time when it happened. You may see a red disk with a white 'X' in it (or many), double click on the first you come to and a window will open with some details, these may give a clue. If there is more than one you can use the arrows in the top right of the information box to move through the list and, hopefully, find something that helps.

It could all have been caused by a corrupt boot up, but that would be strange in itself. More likely a bit of software acting in a very odd manner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer