We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unable to instal xp on my laptop

lakeman
Resolved

Likes # 0

i have an oldish hp laptop with an intel celeron 2g mhz and 1gb of ram which had xp on it til it went haywire so i had to format and instal vista ultimate sp 2. due to it having only standard vga all the screen doesnt get filled. my solution was to reinstal xp but not having the original cd i borrowed one but the result was the message"no system disk in drive " but it installed the vista ok afterwards. i know i could buy a new video card and keep vista but i prefer xp , i dont understand why it wont see the xp cd... hope i havnt rambled....thanks

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

i said things were ok well in the main they are however the display does not fill the screen its approx an 3/4 inch short all round. can it be rectified

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

i said things were ok well in the main they are however the display does not fill the screen its approx an 3/4 inch short all round. can it be rectified

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

canarieslover. Having researched this a bit, it doesn't look as though SP 3 has the SATA drivers either.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

lakeman All I can suggest is that you go to HP Support link text

1: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/support-drivers.html/"Drivers" and see if you can download graphics drivers for XP.

onthelimit1 Definitely has SATA drivers in SP3. I have re-loaded XP several times with SP3 slipstreamed into it and it goes onto SATA drive without having to resort to F6 and load drivers from floppy.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks - that's useful.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lakeman

Could be the monitor setting. See if you can bring up the menu on the monitor itself and check what the input is set at, ie analogue or digital. You could also have the 'auto' settings set to manual so try to re-set to 'auto'. Just a thought.

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

thanks for that guys im resolved now, for the 4th time i reinstalled xp pro and it installed fine, methinks the cd is toused and has a prob, just got the drivers i needed and there are no issues. thanks for all your help, i just know i will be back lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......