We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unable to instal xp on my laptop

lakeman
Resolved

Likes # 0

i have an oldish hp laptop with an intel celeron 2g mhz and 1gb of ram which had xp on it til it went haywire so i had to format and instal vista ultimate sp 2. due to it having only standard vga all the screen doesnt get filled. my solution was to reinstal xp but not having the original cd i borrowed one but the result was the message"no system disk in drive " but it installed the vista ok afterwards. i know i could buy a new video card and keep vista but i prefer xp , i dont understand why it wont see the xp cd... hope i havnt rambled....thanks

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

hi guys i just looked at what i asked and i realise ive answered my own question i am a novice so excuse me.. could someone just tell me why the xp disk wont boot when the vista will. from a clean install..just want to know

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure about this one. Have you configured it to boot from CD as first option in the bios? When you reboot with the XP disc in the drive do you get the option to press any key to boot from CD?

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

yes the option is there and i have cd/dvd rom as first boot device, the message implies the disc is bad or the drive is but vista ultimate booted on it and my mates xp disk works on his similarly oldish laptop.cant fit a new video card as its integrated so my intention was to replace xp because its not as resource hungry...ty for yr response

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tried disabling all boot devices except CD drive? Save and Exit F10

See then if it will boot from the XP CD

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

i will try that and post back yay or nay...ty

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

What service pack version of XP are you trying to install? If it's an early (pre sp2) version and the hard drive is SATA then XP will not be loading drivers to allow it to 'see' the SATA drive.

Like this post  
lakeman

Likes # 0

you touched a nerve there, i tried again and got the process started , setup then stopped after loading files then got the message "setup cant find any hd installed on this pc setup cannot continue" went on to say a manufacturer diagnostic prog may be needed.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That'll be the reason then. Choice of using an external floppy drive to install the drivers from the manufacturers site or slipstream them onto the XP OS.

link text

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check if OEM disc and slipstream is allowed?

Like this post
lakeman

Likes # 0

xp pro with sp3 with all the sata and raid drivrs seem to have sorted things out. thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...