We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS recovery tool virus

jason.p

Likes # 0

I've just had this "malware" removed from my laptop at great expense. Asking around there seem to be a lot of people who have suffered this type of adware attack. It seems to have slipped under the guard of Microsoft essentials and Malwarebytes. As I've no idea how it got in, how can I avoid it in the future? Thanks in advance.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[how can I avoid it in the future]Maybe pay for one of the Pro versions of a good Anti-Malware program.They give you full time protection and less chance of picking up an infection. MalwareBytes is a one of payment I believe. I use Emisoft Anti Malware which I think is great but others may not agree.Or there is Superantispyware or new kid on the block Hitman Pro.No use using the free versions as they do not give you full time protection. I opened a post yesterday on here giving the pay for version of Mabutu free until tomorrow.So maybe try that if funds are a bit low.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This from yesterday.link text

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Probably you got it by clicking an apparently genuine pop-up.

Could be Windows or any other common application warning. Make a note of what it is saying though. If it is genuine, you can go and implement it manually later by another route.

The best thing to do when you are not expecting a pop-up is to click nothing on the box. Do not click the background, Close, Stop, Don't Agree, OK etc. Keep your mouse away from the box in case you accidently click it. Close your browser tab to be sure it is not in the browser page and start Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). End the suspect Application or Right Click and Goto process and end that.

If you have problems, post here. They are all fixable with a bit of advice.

Did you have MS Removal Tool or Windows Recovery? bleepingcomputer have guides for all these. Just Google the exact name of the malware with bleepingcomputer.

eg

MS Removal Tool removal

Windows Recovery removal

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had to clean this virus from numerous PCs which had a whole variety of free and paid-for antivirus software. Does seem to be able to get rid of them.

You say 'at great expense'. I charge £30, so if you apid much more than that, they saw you coming - it only takes a few minutes to get rid of when you know how

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

"Does seem to be able to get rid of them"

I meant - "does seem to be able to get past them".

Like this post
jason.p

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies. Yes it was "MS removal tool" and it cost me £50! A mate of mine was charged £90!!! Won't be doing that again! I've downloaded and installed the 30day trial Mabutu, (thanks Buteman).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

jason. If it happens again, do look at the Bleeping Computer guides - they usually sort these pests out.

P.S. I think I'll have to increase my charges!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more