We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Low disc space on laptop (Vista)

Joe G

Likes # 0

Hi

My disc space on my laptop (running Vista) is getting to the point where it only has about 3Gb left out of 32Gb. I regularly delete my restore points and run CC and Wise Disc cleaner which recovers it a bit for a while but it soon decreases again. I've just run windirstat and that shows that I have about 14Gb in winsxs which seems to be the main hog (though Spotify also has 1Gbwhich seems a lot)

Any advice on things I can clean out - I have already deleted the Spotify file in the other account on the laptop as my partner doesn't use Spotify so I assume that will be ok - though I've left it in recycle bin for now in case it causes a problem!

Thanks in advance for any help Joe G

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What are you storing in it?

Your best bet is to get an External Hard Drive and transfer as many Files as you can to that. Otherwise, you may be able to remove some of the Programs that you rarely use.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I have a 53gb Vista partition and that shows a 31.4gb free. I programs and data on there too. My winsx is 9.37 gb and I am fully patched and up to date SP1 and SP2.

Have you run the built in service pack cleanup tool that makes SP1 and SP2 permanent by deleting all old install files, http://bcrawfordjr.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/windows-vista-service-pack-2-clean-up-tool-compcln-exe/

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses - programmes appear to take up relatively little space and I have a separate partition for data. I didn't know about the clean up tool - does this save a fair bit of space?

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

The SP2 clean up seems to have helped thanks - and I cleared out the Gb of Spotify files from the recycle bin - I am now up to 7.62Gb spare but if anyone else has any suggestions I'd welcome them

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added