We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can one uninstall built in software?

Likes # 0

I was in the process of ordering a Dell Inspiron 17R which comes with a McAfee® Security Centre. I would prefer that it did not have this because I use a paid for version of AVG on my desktop which has served me well. For reasons best know to themselves Dell state that it is not possible for them not to load the McAfee and I'm not sure why this is. Could it be that they are too bureaucratic to handle such a task or what? Anyway, the point of this post is to ask how difficult it is to remove this software because I read somewhere that it is not just a matter of "Uninstalling."

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes it can be removed as can other Software.

I use Free Avast, Windows and Router Firewall's

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Yes use Macafee removal Tool

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The 'extra' software - such as McAfee - supplied with a PC can be uninstalled using the Add/Remove facility in the usual way link text you can also use Mcafee removal tool link text. The reason Dell wont do it is because they load their HDDs with a master loading facility and it would be too much trouble!! They may also have a contract with McAfee which provides them with a 'backhander' if you register the software and pay for it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Register it first before removal Read This

Like this post

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all that.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Dell almost certainly have an agreement with McAfee that every system will be sold with McAfee on it and will not break that agreement. As others state it can be uninstalled. The removal tool is best.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

About a year ago, PC World were offering £30 discount on computers NOT supplied with AV (I forget if it was McAfee or Norton).

On the shelf labels in the store, it was printed in a smaller font underneat the larger Total price.

That doesn't really help, just interesting?

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

How about PC Decrapifier

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Dell will have a 'standard load', probably an automated process, and deviating from that would probably be nigh on impossible for them. Plus, what Woolwell said is almost certainly right.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

This is the same as were I work they used to use win 2000 on all of the machines but when they arrived from HP they came pre-installed with OEM XP so the first thing they did was format them and install their corporate copy of win2K I asked why didn't they just get machines without O/S and was told HP charged more for machines without windows OEM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects