We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Raid 1 set up issues, PC Won;t now boot into Windows 7!

pcmuppet

Likes # 0

Hi

PC spec - Windows 7, Foxconn A88GMX, Raid 1

Installed 2nd identical drive into my PC this am and followed Foxconn instructions to set up Raid 1 to mirror existing drive. However on successful completion the PC won't now boot into Windows.

PC boots ok and you can get into BIOS set up but then just hangs.

Previously advised (not here) to delete new created raid array and go back into BIOS and update drive setting to AHCI from Raid and reboot.

PC still boots but is now asking for suitable boot device, I've checked and the HDD with W7 is second bootable device. I'm sure the data has not been lost?

Have disconnected newly installed 2nd drive and then rebooted but get the same error message?

Do I need to reinstall W7 again?

Thanks for looking at my post.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you installed/set up the RAID installation as given here link text Sometimes third party instructions miss important operations or fail to make things clear.

Also the message you are getting may result from not having a HDD as the first bootable device; what order have you?

Like this post
pcmuppet

Likes # 0

Thanks John, the HDD is set up as the first bootable device. Have looked through the instructions and whilst useful don't cover my issue. Your right in that something was probably missing from the TP instructions.

Now I just want to get my PC to boot into windows again and set up 2nd drive as a back up drive?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you a 'Repair' CD or can you get into 'Safe Mode'? You may be able to repair the OS if you can get into it by using the 'Restore' facility. A complete reinstall will cause all other data to be lost - unless you have a backup with the likes of Acronis in which case you can boot from the ATI CD and selectively install the OS from there.

Like this post
pcmuppet

Likes # 0

Thanks John, repair didn't work so had to rebuild W7, data backed up so nothing important lost.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad