We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer 9 latest thoughts?

compumac

Likes # 0

I never download any new update/software at its first announcement, and wonder as to IE9's suitability. I am being continually prompted to download it and have not seen any current adverse comments. Anyone care to comment?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The only problem I found on it was that there was no search bar on it. You have to empty the address bar and type what you are looking for on that. Thats the only draw back that I could see.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

No problem with IE 9 at all, try it for yourself you can always revert back by uninstalling it. Give it a chance!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have to agree. IE9 is, in my opinion, the best version yet - BUT not as good as Firefox ;-)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have gone back to IE8 but mainly use Firefox as it seams to work quicker. Update for Firefox is now Version 4.01

Like this post
wids001

Likes # 0

Gave up on it and went over to Google Chrome. I couldn't log on to my bank account nor could the wife enter any on-line competitions. The pages came up as plain text. Other numerous niggles. Decided I would try Chrome and have found it very good.

However, I am not giving up on IE9. It is still on my system and hopefully future updates will iron out the problems I have found.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find IE9 to be quite quick and quicker than Firefox on this site. I have had only one snag. Royal Mail SmartStamp would not update with IE9 and I had to uninstall and go back to IE8. SmartStamp apparently depends on IE and no other browser to update (poor program). However I think that problem is cured. You can use compatibility mode.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have just noticed that IE9 is not being offered on any of my XP machines, only on Win 7??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IE9 is only for Vista and Win 7. It wont work on XP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For me it's the best browser yet. Have the latest FF but just as a stand-by.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I'm finding IE9 excellent... just be aware some sites may need to be run in compatability view to work properly. On PCA I found I couldn't tick a thread as resolved and to get the green tick to "stick" (tried four times). Switched to compatability view and it worked first time.

I love the uncluttered appearance of IE9... for me its the best browser yet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more