We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

safe to use credit card ?

jtw57

Likes # 0

hello, i have avg antivirus on my laptop and microsoft security essencials, is that all i need to be safe using my credit card online ?

thanks

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You have 2 Anti Virus Programs, a recipe for disaster.

Get rid of one.

You'll need a firewall, go for Zone Alarm or Comodo, and something to clear any Adware, Malwarebytes is well spoken of.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

To start with you should NEVER have more than one anti-virus installed as they will probably cancel each other out.

If you have AVG and MSE, decide which you want and un-install the other one.

Secondly, the fact that you have anti-virus on your PC has absolutely nothing to do with it being "safe using my credit card on line".

The only way you might be safe is to ensure that you only use your card at a website which starts with https.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

delete one AV program

install WOT [ i find it very valuable]

dont get tricked into random websites which are 'too good to be true'

if you are suspicious, research and/or avoid

just because it uses paypal/google checkout doesnt mean you wont loose your money!

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

keeping AVG, I assume that comes with a firewall ? and will try malwarebytes, what about spybot and C cleaner or would that be to much on a laptop?

many thanks indeed

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

What are you trying to achieve with Malwarebytes, Spybot and CClenaer?

They all perform different functions

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

((What are you trying to achieve with Malwarebytes, Spybot and CClenaer?

They all perform different functions))

i can see wher your coming from, and yes they do perform different functions, but will they be benificial to my laptop or are they just extras i can get by without?

cheers

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

I use Avast AV together with SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender to stop malware.

I do a weekly scan with Malwarebytes and a weekly clean with CCleaner.

I regard them all as essentials, not 'extras'.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

All I use is Free Avast and Windows Firewall, and I do online Banking and and use my CC. Why the need for all the other stuff is beyond me, I have never had a Virus. But there again I do not use a PS3 or Do Games etc, and take care opening E-Mails and how I surf the Web. Been using PC from Win95 days when I spent lots of Nights reloading Windows and software after, trying Cover Disc's. I finally found out the Problem

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS I also Have My Router Firewall turned on

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Provided you observe some common-sense precautions

you'll be perfectly safe using your card for online purchases.

The first thing to do is forget the idea that your own money is involved - you are not spending that, you're spending VISA's money. You obviously have to repay it, but provided you've taken reasonable steps to safeguard your card details the card provider will bear the consequences if something goes wrong.

You'll hear people saying 'I don't use my card online because it's not safe', but that's not the point; online purchasing is as safe, if not safer than handing your card to a waitress in a restaurant, or using it in a petrol station.

As has been pointed out, secure servers (those that have 'https' in front of the address) establish a safe link with your computer for the duration of the transaction, and as long as you check to make sure that you see the 'https' and a small padlock symbol in your browser you'll be as safe online as you would be in a shop. If something goes wrong, let your card provider know about it immediately, and they'll take the strain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK