We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIOS Wipeout!

Portal11

Likes # 0

hiya everyone i got a nightmare of a situation, i have used KILLDISC many times before in the past for low level formats but this morning i used it on my "XPS720H2C" Quad, After just over 3 hours it had wiped the 750 gig drive clean, i noticed there was a couple more files with a few meg on each so i thought "might as well give them a wipe too"...

Well ive been trying to install W7 & i think ive erased my BIOS?? when the pc boots i get the DELL logo and the two options one is to boot from disc & the other to go into the BIOS settings which is still there,

ITs strange cause the BIOS seems to be there but when i try to boot from disc (An original/Genuine Windows 7 Disc) its like it doesnt have any Image on it? the pc dont recognize the disc??

ive tried to put an update on a CD and load it in via a reboot then run from disc but its nto working as in the pc isnt reading the disc..?

Anyone got any ideas pls.?

Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go into BIOS set first boot device to DVD drive set all other boot devices to disable.

try booting from the Windows DVd watch for the press any key to boot from CD message

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat Thanks for the advice, Ive done that & i get to the screen where the OS is loading in the black screen when u boot ur pc with the "Starting Windows" text then underneath it says "Microsoft Corp" but the four Orbs thats spin around into a circle dont appear & it seems to freeze.?

Thanks

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

BTW when i insert the W7 disc it is now asking me "Press any key to boot from disc" but still freezes just after the windows txt stated above..

ive also removed the BIOS battery for an hour..

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Update: ive just downloaded the Bios update "XPS720-A06" via Dell's website but when i transfer it too disc its not recognized by my system.?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You cannot wipe BIOS with Kill Disc, best way would be with a hammer

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS BIOS is not on the hard drive, its software Built into the CMOS chip on the motherboard, I suggest you leave the BIOS alone before you do Kill your PC

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Woodchip thanks, i'm thinking of changing the CMOS jumpers...to reset it..?

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

This is really bizarre? ive got a unused 500 gig hard drive ive tried putting the OS on that instead of the 750 that's in the pc & it wouldn't work on that? so if its not the HD's its deffo the bios..ive changed ALL the settings and then reset em to factory still no go.?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do Not Update BIOS it will do no good and may render the machine usless.

try This to create a partiton on the drive and format the partition before trying to install W7 to the drive.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

Ok Fruitbat i' give it a go..cheers ive ran out of options..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......