We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop won't "Start"

Tim. L

Likes # 0

My wife went to turn on her laptop, after a quick blue screen a prompt screen came up stating that the start up had failed. It offered two options

a) Using the start up auto repair facility, which was used. The system then said unable to repair suggest you go to a restore point, we took this option and after a minute or so it came up with a screen to restore to factory settings, which as yet I have not accepted

b) It also offered to start normally, which when used the lappy turned itself off.

Oddly enough there was no offer to start in Safe Mode, and all the other laptops seem to be working alright

I'm fine with restoring to F/Settings but my wife had just completed a set of coures assignments...........

Any body got any idea what I might be able to do ??

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try tapping F5 or F8 for safe mode, if it go's after choosing safe mode, this will take a bit longer than normal start, Do a System Restore going back to a old date.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, Look for bold dates

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Tapping F5 at start up for safe mode

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Asumming windows 7?

Its always worth trying the start up repair several times.

When you get into it by whatever method remember to back up all your data

Like this post
Tim. L

Likes # 0

nope its Vista. But I'll try all the f keys in turn

Like this post
Tim. L

Likes # 0

The problem is the registry, a message briefly flashed up saying unable to access the registry. Tried in safe mode, still the same results.

Is there a way I can access the files to save my wifes' work before I go to restore factory settings ??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you take the hardrive out and connect to another machine either directly or by using an external case connected to USB see here

Another method is to boot with a live linux CD and copy the files to a usb stick see here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...