We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

LED Backlit also called LCD?

spook88

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Sony Vaio e series and notice that 'sony store online' are soon releasing models direct on amazon (examples below)

And here is the puzzle - on the specs some of them mention having LED backlit screens and some mention having LCD screens.

And on sony's own sony style site(where they would come from when ordering via amazon) they only mention them being LCD, so my question is are the one's called LED backlit infact also the same as LCD as they come from the same company via different sites?

Thanks for any clues on this as i am going round in circles trying to get any clarification from sony!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPC-EB4X5E-i3-380M-2-53GHz-processor/dp/B004W3CY9G/ref=sr111?m=A2XNEMEOZEVY3T&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303553803&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPC-EB4X5E-i3-380M-processor-SuperMulti/dp/B004W3CY8M/ref=sr13?m=A2XNEMEOZEVY3T&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1303992497&sr=1-3

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

Led is only the way that LCD is lit up, LCD is the type of screen Back light can be LED or Fluorescent tube

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

This is he old way

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question580.htm

Led is the new way of doing it, and a better more reliable way

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 1

As woodchip says, the screen is LCD in both cases. The pixels on the screen are controlled to permit varying amounts of light to pass through. Colour is provided by an RGB mask.

The pixels cannot be made totally opaque, so that the degree of blackness is limited when the back-lighting is fluorescent. The advantage of LED is that there are many individual light sources covering parts of the screen. The black level can be improved by dynamically selectively occulting LEDs in an area which is black in the picture, thereby overcoming the inability of the LCD cell to become opaque.

Ther are genuine LED displays available using OLEDs (organic LEDs). These can be made sufficiently small to achive the required resolution for viewing in a small screen size. link text. They are very expensive at the moment.

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

ok, thanks to all for the info so far....so it would appear that it might just be the way Sony label the different laptops rather than being different screens.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

the screens are different, in the way they are lit-up

Like this post
carver

Likes # 1

With LED screens you get better contrast, blacks are (sounds silly) blacker.

I bought a Samsung LED TV and compared to standard LCD tv colors are better, that is why a lot of shops are discounting standard LCD TV's.

As natdoor has said the next step is OLED TV's but they are just to expensive at the moment, but they are good link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback