We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help with installing wireless router

RINGO B

Likes # 0

Hi i am trying to install a wireless 'N' router and i got to step 2 and it said to plug lead into lang socket at back off computor but there is none i have a packard bell pin no:p842027201 s/n no:037955220011 can you please help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

IS this a PB imedia 9094?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It means the onboard lan if there is one if not fit a PCI network card Try Here

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

If this is a wireless router why do you need to plug it in to the PC?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Clapton is God

You may have to connect it initially by wire to configure it and if it is a desktop there may not be a wireless connection.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

"if it is a desktop there may not be a wireless connection".

But it's possible to buy a wireless dongle, like I did, for a desktop

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Clapton is God

That is correct but to setup a routers SSID and encryption it needs to be connect via wire first.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

"That is correct but to setup a routers SSID and encryption it needs to be connect via wire first"

My TalkTalk wireless router doesn't

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

If possible I would have thought it would be the best option to connect via a cable.Of course this depends on the location of router and PC. Get a PCi card as Strawballs suggests if viable.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Clapton is God That's because yours is ISP supplied one you buy yourself you do have to and as the instructions RINGO B refers to in step 2 says plug lead into lan sockets I would say he needs to.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've always had to connect via cable to configure a wireless router for first use. I'm sure there are routers where this isn't true - but in my experience, it often is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes