We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I permanently delete an "Author name" in Vistas pictures so it is not automatically offered.

mooly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can't figure this one out...

If I hover the cursor over any of my pictures (so it just selects the picture but not clicking to open) you get the option to input and change details such as time/date/add comments AND add an authors name etc.

Once a name has been typed into the "author" box and you click on "save", that name is always offered when you begin typing the first letter of that name for any another pictures.

How do you delete a name so it no longer offered ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My desktop is now behaving like my laptop. It is now providing a list of possible authors. But this list seems to be harvested from every single e-mail on my system. I suspect that Vista indexing compiles this list but am not sure. I have been unable to find out where it is kept and how to edit it. I had no idea Vista was keeping so much info.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I haven't turned anything new up either... I'll keep digging.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I got rid of the entire list of suggested names by rebuilding the search index. Rebuild search index

A bit drastic and I still haven't found where it is kept. But it does look as if the list is part of the search index.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Hmmm... I have just tried what you suggest... indexing and rebuild... but its made no difference to mine. All the authors names are still present and show when you type the first letter of their name.

Its a real puzzle is this one... I'll have another look tomorrow.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's Vista's metadata. Tries to find anything associated with the picture or author names etc. What I gather it's a kind of library with indexing. Bit heavy going for me. Try typing the wrongly spelled name in the search box. See if it finds it and try to delete. If it isn't there then I assume the metadata can't suggest it...possibly?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Morning Woolwell and rdave13

I have done it... yay

The authors names are stored with the pictures themselves and not separately... is this what you mean by metadata ?

I tried authoring a single picture with a made up name as a test and sure enough that name is offered on any other picture if I begin typing the first letters. Delete the authors name on the test picture and it is stopped from being offered on all.

I tried searching for the mispelt name to identify the "problem" images and that didn't work because the spelling error is just an incorrect upper/lower case mixup and Vistas search would not discriminate. So I had to trawl through all my folders and check the authors of all .jpgs to find the errant files.

So mystery solved. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't get the author's name to start to autocomplete but do get a list of names with a checkbox next to it. I can only get that list amended through rebuilding the index.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you're sorted. Apparently your camera carries metadata with the picture file as well as Vista's own metadata. The suggested names list comes from all the picture files installed. Some of my pictures were downloaded from emails and the author's name is the email. I did start to read a PDF about Vista's metadata but there were too many pages and life's too short :)

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Well thanks again... its a complex issue for sure.

I have Picassa 3.0 as an author too... and that's from a few pictures downloaded from a friend via Picassa of course.

There's just too much to know and figure out sometimes.

Must make a new backup now having done all the altering and chasing of files...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I appear to have a different set up. I get a list of names with a check box. This does not depend on the names already entered as authors of photos but is a list generated by Vista's indexing and contains not only author's but e-mail addresses, etc. What have I done differently?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'