We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new camera cant install?

johnnyrocker
Resolved

Likes # 0

i recently bought a new pentax digital camera but am unable to install it on pc, the disk which came with has only the manual, arcsoft impression,and adobe 9 but no other choices any ideas? XP PRO SP3

johnny

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

A bit of a long shot perhaps, but does it have different USB modes. There may be switchable options in the menu system. I think Pentax offer two options depending on camera - PTP and MSC. It needs to be set to MSC to be recognised.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

not the case in my situation but thanks anyway.

johnny

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Some devices - some phones, for example - require you to switch them into 'USB mode' so that the PC will recognise them as an external drive. Does your camera have such a menu option that you can turn on? Failing which, like many are saying, just stick the memory card in a reader and do it that way.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Like many others here, I only ever use a card reader.

However, you might like to ask Pentax support from this site:

click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Ty this, Do not turn Camera on until you have plugged the camera in then what the screen when you turn it on as it may as how you want to use it. As you should be able to use it as a Web Cam or Removable Storage etc. Have you read the Manual on Connection on the CD

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

watch not what screen

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

watch not what screen

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

still not getting pc notices of replies. however i have been advised by pentax that xp pro sp3 is not supported so it looks like i am stuffed but thanks to all.

johnny

Like this post  
ventanas

Likes # 0

I did wonder, but seem a bit unfair already I think. So many still use XP.

But not the end of the world. Card readers are cheap and much easier to use. Most PC's have one built in now. Mine does but supports all cards except CF, which most of my cameras use. So I still use a reader.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

From the link below, (dated this month), it seems that worldwide, XP still has 47% of the market. Very odd that Nikon has ignored the sp3 update of XP.

However, in my view a card reader is much easier to use.

link

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014