We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with Windows XP PC

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am looking at a friend's PC which is constantly freezing. I have managed to clear down quite a bit and now looking at running Chkdsk /r to clear any problems with the HHD. However, when the PC reboots, the system only starts the first check and stops at 2%. I have also tried running the defrag program to analyse the disk, but this just freezes the PC. Any thoughts before I go the whole hog a run a reinstall over the top?

The PC is running XP Pro SP2.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

How much free hard drive space and how does it run in safe mode, any recurring errors in windows event viewer, is the pc clean inside, the heat sink not blocked with dust, have you checked for malware with something like MBAM?

link text

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Don't know exactly where you're coming from but you have probably started in the right place.

Here are a couple of thoughts. Firstly have a good clean out with CCleaner link text

Then run your Chkdsk /r but expect it to take between 8 and 24 hours, depending on the size of the Hard Drive.

Thirdly you can try Defrag again, but remember to turn off all software, including Screen-savers and Automated Search Engines, if this has not been done for a while, 4 to 8 hours is the period you should allocate for this.

Malwarebytes should be in there somewhere link text as well as running an up-to-date AntiVirus.

Finally, install SP3 asap!

Like this post  
Les28

Likes # 0

Also might be an idea to run a hard drive diagnostic tool, something like Seagate Tools for Seagate or Maxtor drives or Data Lifeguard for Western Digital, whatever's appropriate for the particular hard drive installed, check out what drive make on the pc with something like SIW, Everest Home or Belarc Advisor and look at their site for a drive diagnostic boot cd download and maybe check RAM with something like Memtest 86.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start Windows in "Safe mode with Command Prompt" (F8 on startup) At the command prompt, enter chkdsk.exe^/f press Enter If Chkdsk wants to schedule a check at the next boot, say Yes enter shutdown^-r^-t^01 then press enter to restart Windows Chkdsk should run on restart

If still freezes at 2% the get a new drive :0(

Like this post
xania

Likes # 1

Wow - thanks for all this. I can conform that the hard disk is less than 20% utilised - frankly I would have partitioned it, but there you go. For the rest, I will run these over the next few hours and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help - I will report back.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above you need to leave check disc running

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Could do nothing with PC so took HHD out and attached it to my PC via USB caddy - then the fun started. Immedaitely Norton went wild and reported at least 3 trojans which it quanantined immediately. Then ran MBAM which deleted these and FIVE key-loggers.

Have now also run Chkdsk /r and Defragged before adding some decent security and will be retunring PC tomorrow.

Once agian thanks for all your help.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Last time I had this problem, I fixed it by unplugging an external USB drive and plugging it into a different port. Strange but true...

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Ah - here the problem was internal and the drive running the OS. Putting it into an external hopper on a reliable PC enabled me to solve all the problems (once I relaised how many/serious they were).

Not sure how to close this incident on the new system, but I think it is now closed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To 'GreenTick' resolved, Choose the post that most answers your question and click on the big grey tick on the right and it will turn Green.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...